Born in Coazze (Turin) in 1945, Gianni Piacentino began his career with the Povera Art group, in the mid-1960s, He left the group very early to dedicate himself to create prototypes of two-and three-wheeled vehicles with industrial materials. These sculptures with geometric shapes made in painted and varnished wood developed an original painting technique.
His works have been exhibited in Europe since 1966 in public spaces such as Palais des Beaux Arts in Brussels, Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid; Gallery of Modern Art of Bologna and Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome; National Gallery of Berlin, Gesellschaft für Aktuelle Kunst in Bremen and Museum am Ostwall in Dortmund; PS1 in New York as well as numerous private galleries. In 1977 he was invited to participate in Documenta 6 and in 1993 at the XLV Biennale of Venice. His works are part of the permanent collections of Galleria d’Arte Moderna in Turin and Reggio Emilia Museum, Power Institute of Fine Arts in Sidney (Australia), National Gallery of Berlin and Neuen Museums Weserburg, Bremen.