Born in 1913 in Catania, Italy; died in 1934 Catania, Italy.
Greco takes a lengthy apprenticeship as a stonemason in the Zagarelli Laboratory in Catania, before he completes his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Palermo. After his military service and following World Word II, in 1947 he was invited to study at the German Academy in Rome, Villa Massimo, together with Leoncillo, Guttuso, Mazzacurati, Rossi and Brunori. He is one of the greatest Italian sculptors of his generation. He has exhibited extensively throughout Italy since 1944, and participated in the Quadrennial of Rome and Venice Biennale. Many are the group exhibitions abroad, such as the one at Tate Gallery (1948) and Museum of Modern Art in New York (1949), which are followed by solo exhibitions worldwide. He has also received numerous prizes and awards, Prix Saint-Vincent for sculpture, the Parliament Prize in the Fourth Quadrennial (1952) and the Grand Prix of Sculpture at the XXVIII Venice Biennale (1956). Many Italian cities have museums dedicated to his work and his sculptures appear in major museums around the world. The Open Air Museum in Hakone, Japan, has dedicated a permanent called Greco Garden. Among his important commissions on sacred art, are the four high reliefs of the church off the A1 highway in Florence (1961), the doors of the Cathedral of Orvieto (1964).