Born in 1923 in Partanna, Italy; died in 1980 in Rome, Italy.
Sanfilippo completes his training at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence; in 1946 he settles in Rome and the following year signs with Accardi, Attardi, Consagra, Dorazio, Guerrini, Perilli, Turcato and Maugeri, the manifesto of Forma 1 taking part in group exhibitions from 1948 to 1951. From the early 1950s he had solo exhibitions in avant-garde galleries, such as the Age d’Or and Schneider in Rome, the Cavallino in Venice and the Canal in Milan. In the mid 1950s, he began to exhibit abroad in New York, Osaka, Brussels, Lausanne, Pittsburgh, London. He received qualifying reviews among others from Marchiori, Vivaldi, Ponente, Serpan, Tapié. After his debut in Venice Biennale in 1948, he exhibited again in Venice Biennale in 1954, 1964 and in 1966 with a personal room. In 1951, he took part in the exhibition Abstract and Concrete Art at the National Gallery of Modern Art in Rome. He is regularly invited to the Quadrennial of Rome, as well as the Graziano Award, to the Lissone, the Michetti, the Gulf of La Spezia. The 1960s see the definitive affirmation of his painting, in Italy and abroad. Among his important exhibitions, his personal show at the New Vision Centre Gallery in London in 1961, the Arc d’Alibert in Rome in 1964, 1966, 1969 and the Naviglio in Milan in 1965. He also exhibits in Chicago, Boston, Paris, Bern, Turin, Bari, Bologna, Florence. His 1971 exhibition, curated by Vivaldi, held at Editalia in Rome, is his last show. In 1980, the year of his death, the National Gallery of Modern Art in Rome dedicated to him a large retrospective exhibition.